Saturday, August 06, 2005

Yippe...finally graduated from Singapore Safety Driving Centre (SSDC) today. YES!!! I got my driving class 3B. Although it was a 2nd attempt, I am still quite happy. I was actually pretty surprised that I managed to pass. I thought I won't be able to make it this time again as my mind was flooded with my dad's recent illness - dementia.
-
Just before the test, I had a warm-up session with a warm-up instructor. He did a last minute run through on all stations and a test route. Then I was asked to go upstairs to the briefing room to wait. Soon, a TP started to brief us (abt 10 candidates). I was praying hard that I will not get test route 2,4 & 8, cos' they are the most difficult ones. I am so glad that I got test route 10 (my 1st test, I am so 'suay' got a test route 4). All thanks to the Indian guy who picked my name from the box (muAcK!! mUacK!!.). I was so glad that I got another tester. Not the same as the 1st one.
After getting our destinated routes, we studied our routes map while waiting for our respective TP to call us. We chatted among ourselves to release our nervousness. A while later, the TPs one by one came in and start calling our names. We then wished one another all the best.
-
Soon, I was called and asked to go down to start the engine while my tester went to get the 'L' test in progress' sign to hook to the bumper of the car. My tester then gave green light for me to go, BUT....out of anxiousness, I forgot to release the handbrake. I thought 'siao' liao, haven't even started driving, already got demerit points liao. I remembered my instructor telling me to calm down and pretend that the person sitting beside me is him NOT the tester. I took a deep breath and started my driving. I got steady 'popipi' after a min or so. I was so happy that I cleared the circuit without any demerit points especially my slope, vertical and parallel parking. (which I got deducted badly on my 1st test). I kept peeping onto my test paper each time I came to a red light. Trying to squint my eyes see if I got any ticks.
-
Halfway through the test route, I almost almost almost had an immediate failure, I almost almost almost forgot to stop at the stopline before making a U-turn. Well, there isn't any oncoming cars so one tends to go ahead and turn lor. I glad that I managed to stop in time when I realised its a stop line. I did the same mistake before during my one of my lessons and got scolding from my instructor so I still remembered it. I thought the tester might give me a immediate failure for that cos' I do not know if I have cross the white line.
-
Second time, when I was waiting to filter out the main road opposite Anderson JC, the tester kept looking into his rear mirror and turned his head behind to see the pedestrians. I thought the rear wheels of my car has touched the zebra crossing. I thought I might get another immediate failure but then I looked into my rear and right wing mirrors, I felt that my positioning is correct leh. I told myself I must have confidence in myself and said to myself I am right.
-
I was so relieved that I was about to return to school. I ust did a right turn and was about to lane change to the left, when a stupid guy suddenly dashed into the middle of the road (no divider hor). I then quickly jammed my brake a little. That stupid guy was standing so near to my lane that I have to swerve a little to the left to 'siam' him. But then, I will be 'eating' to the left lane which i might caused accident to the cars on my left. I thought I might get demerit points for failing to keep in lane. I was so so angry with fellow. I told myself if I failed my test because of him, he better dont let me see him.
-
After parking the car, my tester told me to proceed upstairs(to receive my verdict lah) while he returned the "L-Test in progress" sign back to the cupboard. I was about to climb up the stairs then bumped onto my instructor who was going for his lessons. He actioned his hands to ask me how's the test. I thought I might failed, so I shaked my head. When I was in the room, my heart thumped like mad. The TP commented that my turning is too wide. He nagged here and there. just like the rest of the TPs in the room. (so the 'longso'). He said that I should horned at the guy just now. When he wrote the 1st number on my script '1', I knew I have passed but still a little not too sure.(bcos' 11pts also passed. 19pts still passed). He counted the points and wrote the 2nd number '8'. I was so relieved. He then ticked the box beside the 'PASSED', I was over the clouds. I thanked the tester as he returned my test script to me. I happily went to apply for my driving license but was sad for the some of the group who did not passed.
-
I then rushed to look for my instructor to tell him the goody news before he starts his lesson. It took me quite a while to spot him as all of them are wearing the uniform. My instructor saw me and walked over. He looked at my test script and nagged at me for repeating my habit again - wide turning. . Nevertheless, he was still pleased that I have passed on my 2nd attempt. He once told me that all his fixed trainees passed either in 1st or 2nd attempt. Glad I did not spoilt his market. ((hehehe)). He congratulated me and wished me all the best. I thanked him in return for his guidance and teaching for the past months. I then went back to the building to listen to a compulsory video clip by the Traffic Police.(very boliao). Then went home to tell my dad the good news. Dont know if my dad can remember it tomorrow. Sigh!!! Too bad my mother isnt here to share with me the joy. She will be very happy and proud of me cos I did better than my sister. *Mummy, I passed my driving.*
************
Instructor Seah is the only instructor who can bring the lessons across clearly to me compared the other 4 instructors which the computer has randomly appointed me to before. That is why I decided and willing to spend extra $8.40/lesson to fix him as my fixed instructor. Neversince, I looked forward each lessons with him. But then, I gotten missed my driving lesson with him. SobSob.....He really made all my 20 over lessons and revision a very memorable and fun. Although Instructor Seah is 10 years older than me but we can really chat. He is really very multi-tasking lor. He can chat with me, correct/catch my mistakes and be alert on the traffics outside. A very good tempered person too (hmm..never see him lose his temper at me before)
-
I remembered once, I was in the 1st gear, I had just changed down and was about to stop at the traffic junction. My method of braking method was wrong. I knew it though but I have already stepped on the brake pedal liao so i tot just made to with it. Anyway, there wont be any big difference. (I stepped on the brake then the clutch. I thought my instructor wont be able to catch me on this minor tiny little weeny thing, afterall his eyes are looking in front.) But then, I underestimate him lor, he caught me. He said "hey hey, how do u brake in 1st gear, hah?" "Like that also i let me catch you". He warned me not to do it during test.
-
Another time was on my blindspot. In the past, he always remind and remind and remind me to check my blindspot but I still don't check. (hello...its not that I dont want to check hor but I 'buay' 'ki' check). So he took this very seriously, he told me he will count each time I failed to check a blindspot, if it reaches 20times, he said that fail me for that day's lesson. I think he counted till 10 wor just for one test route. He said that I am towards my last few lessons already, if I don't have a habit of checking my blindspot now, during test the same habit will still be there. Each time, the tester will deduct 2 pts each time for failing to check. He nagged and nagged. He said I can fail on just the blindspot alone. But in the next few lessons, I (at last) remembered to check my blindspot.
-
He is also very committed in his teaching that he always asked me on each lesson when is my next lesson with him so that he wont take leave on that day. Sometimes during lessons, we will chit-chat things like travelling,his little twin sons,his work,cars,food,to my parents etc..... Well, I do get scoldings from him sometimes for my repeated mistakes too lah - like always forget to check blindspot, late braking, wide turning, looking at my gear while changing, But overall, I really enjoyed my lessons.
-
In Summary.
a) Insufficent acceleration (2pts each) - 2xs
b) Veer off course (4 pts each) - 2x
c) Change lane abruptly (4pts each) - 1xs
d) Wide turning (2pts each) - 1x
**see, no points deduct for failing to check blindspot**
TOTAL : 18 pts